The negative ion generator is a powerful machine to filter out everything that is larger than 0.3 microns in size from the air. But what does it mean to your allergies? It means a negative ion generator can help you completely with your allergies because it can trap all the potential airborne allergens inside it. In addition to save the air quality in your home, a negative ion generator is truly important to keep you healthy, providing that you have extreme allergies. That is, if you are wondering these questions: “Do negative ion generators work for allergies?”, “Can negative ion generators help with allergies?” or “Do negative ion generators remove allergens?” then you have your answer.
Related post: Best negative ion generators for allergies.
Allergies are very common and increasing in the United States, with more than 50 million Americans have experienced various types of allergies each year. There are many different causes of allergy and symptoms vary from mild to potentially life threatening. Allergy is also one of the major factors associated with the cause and persistence of asthma.
Allergy occurs when a person’s immune system reacts to substances in the environment that are harmless for most people. These substances are known as allergens and are found in dust mites, pets, pollen, insects, ticks, molds…
No matter how much you clean your home, you cannot get rid completely of allergens and other airborne irritants in the air. That’s why you need a negative ion generator. Do you want to know how an negative ion generator can help you with your allergies? Just keep reading, because right now we will tell you everything you need to believe in the power of a negative ion generator against airborne allergens. Also, we will share you a list of the best negative ion generators which are designed to work for allergies only. In Alpha Ionic, we understand the importance of your health, and we hope to help it with our complete indoor air quality guide.
Now, it’s time to find out “Do negative ion generators work for allergies?”
Note: If you need answer for common questions of negative ion generators, please read our negative ion generator FAQs.
DO NEGATIVE ION GENERATORS WORK FOR ALLERGIES?
The negative ion generators do help with allergies. However, as the name implies, a negative ion generator can only remove the airborne allergens. These devices are able to filter out of the air 99.97% of as small as 0.3 microns airborne allergens such as dust, dust mites, pet hair, pet dander, mold spores, fungus and many types of bacteria. Moreover, the negative ion generator circulate the air in your home to change the fresh air multiple times. These air changes are capable of helping you out of the allergies soon.
But how? How is a negative ion generator so effective at removing these airborne allergies?
The answer is that a negative ion generator has a set of air filters. With different air filter types, your negative ion generator can trap the tiniest airborne allergens easily. The most common air filters are being used to destroy the common sources of allergies are:
- HEPA filter, which stands for High-efficiency particulate arresting filter. This HEPA filter is the most well-known filter in negative ion generator industry, made of the highly dense paper. Through a combination of three mechanisms: interception, impaction and diffusion, a HEPA filter can trap even the 0.3 microns in size particles, which is a trusted protector against every type of airborne allergens.
- Ionic filter, or called the ionizer. An ionic filter is able to trap the airborne allergens with charged ions, that electrostatically attract the contaminants and force these impurities to fall onto nearby surfaces. If combining with a physical filter, the ionic filter can increase the trapping efficiency of it by at least 3 times.
- Activated Carbon filter, or called Charcoal filter. This air filter can adsorb and neutralize volatile chemicals, harmful gases, odor, and smoke that can cause allergies to you. However, this air filter is unable to trap other large object of airborne allergens, and therefore, needs combination with other filters.
- UV-C light filter, which can emit ultraviolet light that attacks the mold spores, bacteria and viruses and kills them. Because the mold spores are a big reason that cause allergies, this UV-C light filter is really necessary to those who have issues with mold or fungus.
The most problem with indoor allergens is that they float in your home air and eventually make their way into the carpet, bedding, drapes, upholstery, and your clothing. And every time you walk across your floor, lay down, or affect one of these areas, it sends the trapped allergens back into the air for you to breathe in.
That’s why your allergies often stay for a long time.
Fortunately, you can purchase a negative ion generator to help combat with these airborne allergens. If you choose the right negative ion generator, it will purify your home air out of these airborne allergens easily. These devices can also get rid of odors which are another thing that can irritate your respiratory tracts and make you sneeze. Without these irritants, you will soon get rid of allergies. So is this thing persuasive to you?
Below are some lists of the best negative ion generator, with specialized purposes to use in 2019.
List of best negative ion generators in 2019
- 1, Best Negative Ion Generator list (2019 version)
- 2, Best Negative Ion Generators for Allergies and Asthma
- 3, Best Negative Ion Generators for Bedroom
- 4, Best Negative Ion Generators for Smoke
- 5, Best Negative Ion Generators for Dust
- 6, Best Negative Ion Generators for Mold
- 7, Best Large Room Negative Ion Generators
- 8, Best Negative Ion Generators for Pet Owners
- 9, Best Negative Ion Generators for Office
MOST COMMON SOURCES OF ALLERGIES
Some people have a hypersensitivity to one type of allergen while others are triggered by multiple particles inside the home at the same time. Here are the most popular airborne allergens that may trigger your indoor allergy symptoms.
- Mold and Mildew
- Dust and Dust Mites
- Tobacco Smoke
- Pet Dander
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – which are present in carpeting, furniture materials, paints, glues, and cleaning agents
Since these things are common found in every home, it makes sense why so many people suffer from allergies. Moreover, because you can’t really tell which source is your main problem of allergens, you should avoid them all. A negative ion generator is necessary at removing all these airborne allergens from your home air, only send back the fresh air for you to breathe.
However, there are are some things you need to keep in mind before buying a negative ion generator.
NEGATIVE ION GENERATORS ARE DIFFERENT IN LEVEL
The truth is that not all negative ion generators are designed to be the same level.
In fact, if you don’t buy the right kind of negative ion generator, it won’t work for allergies at home.
The secret to getting the best negative ion generator for allergies is to find one that’s equipped with a True HEPA filter. This filter is specially designed to capture 99.97% of microscopic allergens down to 0.3 microns in size. That’s at least three times better than the HEPA-type or HEPA-like filters.
THE ROOM COVERAGE OF A NEGATIVE ION GENERATOR
Just buying an negative ion generator with a True HEPA filter is not enough.
You need to make sure that your device is sized correctly for the room you want to use it in. If the negative ion generator is not powerful enough, then it won’t be efficient at removing indoor allergens and you will still feel awful at times.
To get the right negative ion generators, all you have to do is figure out the square footage of the room you will be placing it in and match it up to a product that will cover that size space. Most manufacturers list the room coverage rating on the device so you can quickly determine if it is the right fit. It is strongly advised to read our buying guide before buying any negative ion generators.
NEGATIVE ION GENERATOR IS ONLY EFFECTIVE FOR A CLOSED ROOM
Another thing you will want to keep in mind when buying a negative ion generator is the fact that it will only work in the room you have it running in. Negative ion generators can’t purify air through walls.
For example, if you have an air cleaner in your living room then you will get allergy relief in that space. But if you go to your bedroom and you don’t have a negative ion generator in that area then your negative ion generator won’t help your allergies when you sleep.
The bottom line is the more rooms you have a negative ion generator in, the more relief you will get from your allergy symptoms throughout your entire house.
SUMMARY – CAN A NEGATIVE ION GENERATOR HELP WITH ALLERGIES?
The answer is yes, as long as it meets certain criteria. Here is a recap of what you learned in this post:
- Negative ion generators are a great way to reduce indoor allergy triggers.
- To remove 99.97% of allergens, a negative ion generator must use a True HEPA filter.
- The negative ion generator must be sized properly so it can cover the square footage of the room you want to use it in. Otherwise, it won’t be as effective.
- For the best allergy relief, you will want a negative ion generator in every room you spend a lot of time in (i.e. living room, bedroom, basement, or office).
Now you know the answer to the question “Do negative ion generators work for allergies?” In Breathe Quality, we only wish for your health and better air quality. Thank you!